Sunday, March 29, 2015

Attempted Athleticism and Sweatpant Brunch

This last Saturday my friend Megan and I partook in The Color Run. In case you don't know what that is I shall explain, The Color Run is a 5k (3.1 mile) run where, throughout the run, volunteers chuck powered paint at you. I did a color run a couple years ago for the first time, this was my second time.... I don't claim to be a runner. I'm guess you could call me a periodic runner, meaning I run when I randomly get motivation. Megan is not a runner. Period.



Look at me all ready and prepared for this 5k


Throw some glitter... make it rain!

If you've never done a 5k before I recommend you do one, they can get a little expensive but it's for charity. I like the ones that are either incredibly entertaining while you run or have an awesome swag bag, (The Hot Chocolate 5k for example has a comfortable and cute fleece hoodie and the most delicious chocolate fondue at the end). The Color Run is one of my personal favorites because it speaks to the starving artist/photographer in me. The best thing about most 5ks like this is it doesn't matter your level of athleticism, literally everyone participates. If you're a runner you stay to the left, if you want to walk you stay to the right, and if you do interval training like me you run wherever you damn please because rules don't apply to you!


We had a blast! One of the best things about this run was I could tell from the first time I ever ran one to this time my endurance and abilities have improved, so that was great motivation. Makes you feel good about yourself and all the work you put into working out and running might just be paying off. Since Megan isn't much of a runner at all we walked most of this 5k, but I got her to jog every now and then and I was so proud of her. Here we are with our medals.


Shiny medals.

After the run Megan and I knew we wanted to eat brunch but weren't sure how we felt about going covered in powdered paint and glitter. I suggested we don't care and go anyways, she wasn't feeling that, so we went with "Sweatpant Brunch."

Sweatpant Brunch is when you make food at home and drink mimosas. It's significantly cheaper than real brunch, you control the menu and there is no such thing as drunk driving because you are already home. Additionally, you wear whatever you want. So hello sweatpants. Or no pants. Really you do sweatpant brunch however you want to do it. No judgement here.


Sweet, sweet mimosa. I earned you today

I made my famous banana-chocolate chip muffins, scrambled eggs with spinach and pico de gallo, and bacon. Oh wait, and obviously mimosa. We did peach mimosa because peach juice is 10x better than orange juice, If you've never tried it I suggest you do it and do it soon. Actually go ahead and try that now. You'll thank me.

 

Look at that kick-ass, homemade, from scratch brunch. 

My banana-chocolate chip muffins are super easy to make:
This recipe will yield 12 regular sized muffins (one pan)
  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt (plain is a suggestion, I honestly use vanilla. Greek or Regular)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 mashed ripe banana
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I just put chips in until I am satisfied that I've thoroughly nullified any nutritional value) 
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350
  2. Combine wet ingredients (egg, yogurt, oil, vanilla extract)
  3. Combine dry ingredients into wet (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt)
  4. Add in banana and combine some more
  5. Add in whatever about of chocolate chips you deem reasonable. 
  6. Bake for 20-25 mins. (Remember, ovens vary, I usually bake mine for 23)
  7. Let cool and then enjoy!
First time I ever made these muffins they were completely gone in 2 days. So that says something. 


Yum yum get in my tum!

Obviously you don't need to add chocolate chips if you don't want. You could substitute them with nuts, heath bar, probably blueberries but I've never tried it. I will always add chocolate chips because chocolate.

Obviously after a 5k and sweatpant brunch it was nap time. #NoRegrets.

So let's recap:
  1. Do a 5k because it's for charity and you'll feel good about yourself once you're finished.
  2. Do a sweatpant brunch once in a while because they're comfortable and cheap
  3. Make my muffins. 
  4. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram
Check you later my basic brunchers! 

1 comment:

  1. Barefoot is the perfect champagne for mimosas. it's inexpensive but it's still good.

    ReplyDelete