Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Mother's Day Brunch

Mother's Day. A day when you celebrate and appreciate your mother and everything she's ever done for you. (Side note: You should be appreciative of your mother every day). Since Mother's Day is such a Hallmark Holiday nowadays I did a little research (aka Googled Mother's Day Origin and done) about the origin of Mother's Day.
  1. "The modern American holiday of Mother's Day was first celebrated in 1908, when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother in Grafton, West Virginia. Her campaign to make "Mother's Day" a recognized holiday in the United States began in 1905, the year her beloved mother, Ann Reeves Jarvis, died."
Boom. Origin story. Riveting. 

So every year my family decides to do what everyone else in the world is doing and take my mother to brunch. And every year it falls on me to find a place and make a reservation and it's hell. Why is it hell?

1. Literally almost everyone else is doing the same thing on that same day, It's not a unique game plan. It's pretty much standard. Mother's Day falls on a Sunday and clearly all mother's love champagne. It's pretty basic. Mother's Day is literally the most basic bitch of the Hallmark Holidays followed closely by Valentine's Day

2. Since almost everyone is going to do brunch most places hike the prices up to serve you a special "Mother's Day Brunch" that you clearly wouldn't be getting if you came any other Sunday.

Wow. I sound bitter about this. Really it's just a pain in the ass to search and call and search and call. So I decided that since this year I don't have to do that since my mother will be out of town I will do some basic research for you. 

1. Dallas Arboretum 


If you're thinking about going to the Dallas Arboretum for Mother's Day Brunch and you have yet to purchase your ticket... don't bother they are sold out. I thought about not posting about this location but changed my mind because Mother's Day is every year and it's good to know places in advance. It's pricey though, you're looking at $68/person.

2. Nasher Sculpture Center


How cool would it be to have a Wolfgang Puck brunch surrounded by art and sculptures at The Nasher Sculpture Center!?! They are having two seatings for brunch, 10 AM and 1 PM. 1 PM is still available so I suggest you run over there and snag what's left of the seats. I understand that's a little late for a brunch but if I were reserving the seats I would be grabbing the 10 AM and calling it breakfast, That's how we do in my family. This brunch is going to run you close to $60/person for nonmembers. If you are a member it's only $50/person. A big enough difference to pay for your parking. 

3. Cru Wine Bar

This is the place I took my mother last year and it was amazing. You have a three course menu you choose from, plus $9 carafes of mimosa. Another great thing about Cru is there are three locations around Dallas. Dallas- West Village, Plano- Shops at Legacy, Allen- Watters Creek. Conveniently, at the Allen location, they also have the Allen Arts Fest the same weekend. So after you're done eating you can stroll around and look at the different vendors and listen to live music. 


Mi Familia, minus my dad who is taking the picture.


Additional side bar. I love Cru Wine Bar. 
  1.  I love wine. 
  2. Their food is amazing (but small portions so don't really plan on splitting anything unless you want to buy 5 plates of food.)
  3. They have flights. Which means you can order any of a variety of flights, obvs that I get the champagne flight, and they serve you three different types of whatever you ordered, usually ascending in quality and price. 

Both mine. Hello champagne flight. Believe me I was flying.

The staff is super friendly too. I got a top-off or two of the real champagne from Champagne, France, and I was super excited because I had never had real authentic champagne before. In-so-doing I embarrassed my friend Caitlin that was with me, but hey, it also got her a top-off of her red wine. That was her life that evening, she didn't understand what was going on but hey, this girl knows that the worst anyone is ever going to say to you is no, so always ask. 


What is my life right now? Me + champagne + statue = this moment


That went into a mini-review of Cru. But seriously, check that bitch out, totes worth it.

Since I said I was going to do a mini research for Mother's Day I've also included two articles of some Mother's Day Brunch Spots:


They mention Bread Winners. I do love Bread Winners brunch. They have four locations but they get packed, hard and fast so make a reservation. Also, it's pricey so don't be surprised when you get the bill. Those mimosas will add up quick. But the food is amazing and kinda worth the cost. Bread Winners is siblings with Henry's Majestic and they too have a brunch. But to my understanding it's just a typical brunch services for both places. And can I just give a shout out to whomever runs their social, they are always responding to my tweets


Do not take your mother to El Fenix for Mother's Day Brunch. Sorry but I just can't stand behind that one. You can step up your game for one day. 

If all else fails, make brunch for your mother. She will love it more than any place you could take her. I did that one year. I made my muffins ( recipe found in my post about sweatpant brunch), eggs and mimosas. We ate in our backyard, no need to rush anywhere or worry about anything. It's a great and cheap alternative which makes you look more thoughtful.

Hopefully, this makes your life a little easier. Remember, Mother's Day is when everyone and literally their mom is out for brunch so make reservations as soon as possible. Really you should have one by now, but if you are here it's probably because you don't. Tell your mother how much you love her and appreciate everything she's ever done for you because without her you wouldn't be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment